Started this thread last week about the perils of waxoyl
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/gassing/topic.asp?h=0...Just finished scraping, preparing and painting the other side... much easier and less messy this week after learning the ropes last week.
I'd strongly recommend using a pair of surgical rubber gloves underneath a hardy pair of gardening gloves or the like... might seem a bit "mamby pamby" but prevents you from losing skin whilst scraping, and no messy hands when removing waxoyl with white spirit, or when applying POR treatments and paint.
I scraped at all of the visible rust first, which also removed a fair amount of waxoyl, then used the white spirit, then scraped some more where necessary before cleaning with the POR Marine Clean etc.
One thing I noticed today is that the passenger side takes more of a hammering than the drivers side, so if you really want to know what the condition of your chassis is check the outriggers on the passenger side.
Also, wanted to mention that I bought one of those Clarke CTJ1250A low profile trolley jacks from Ready2Race before I started the job. Excellent piece of kit, slips right under the TVR and I would strongly recommend it.
Well, one more coat of pain then I'm done... all I need now is a bit of good weather.

No comments:
Post a Comment